Wednesday, February 27, 2013

SO, I'm Not A Cook..LOL

Any of you out there feel like you are not great at something that you should be really great at doing, because it's something that automatically comes with your territory?  Well, I've been wanting to talk about this for a while, because I definitley feel this way about a touchy subject, COOKING.  My husband is better at cooking than me.  He can get it done quicker, he's not as messy as I am, he's much more organized at it than I am, and no matter what I do HIS DISH always tastes better.  So, there's a lot of intimidation when it comes to OUR kitchen.  Honestly, I feel like I should just say, HIS kitchen.  He's not MADE me feel this way, it's just how it is.  On the night's that I mention cooking, within five minutes, Alana usually chimes in and says something like, "Should I fix a bowl of cereal or something?"  So to any of you out there that are super cooks but keep it simple (I'm not talking out of the box) and have some ideas for this mom, I'd love to hear them.  I'm not one to give up, but after 10 years of marriage, I'd love some ideas that are actually COOKABLE and delicious. And no worries, our marriage has not suffered from this...none of us are starving due to my lack of talent in the kitchen-:) 

Now that I've admitted my weakness, I would like to end on somewhat of a high note and share some of what I consider to be my strength in keeping my little nest nice and comfy. Many people ask me how I do what I do. I'm assuming when they ask that question they are referring to the daily schedule of being a Home School Mom, keeping up with a very active 2 year old, working a part time job, while giving private piano/vocal lessons, and volunteering as Youth Praise Team Director at our local church, and still enjoying all the things that come with being a wife and just living life and making a house a home.  One of the things I love to do is organizing and making my home easily functionable and livable.  I'm finding that it's something I just have a love for doing and it makes me so happy to do.  I also enjoy working on special projects to give my home a little bit of my own personality and so I've shared some of that as well. When people look at things on my walls, I like for there to be a story behind it, or a memory that comes with it.  I have a sample of one of my projects that I'm working on below as you will see.  Maybe I'll share some other things later on, but for now I've started with a few things.  All of these projects are VERY simple, yet have made a big difference, that's why I wanted to share.  I've labeled the pictures below with what I did and the reason behind it.  I'm simplistic in my approach to things and I have a purpose behind every project (I learned this from my husband) If there isn't a purpose behind it, no use in wasting my time or his on it...lol.  I also have a couple of pictures that I'm looking for a product to complete a project.  If you know where I can find the product, please comment.  Thanks a bunch.



this is a glass container I decided to use for some of my spring
nail polish that I got tired of pulling out over and over.  It makes for 
easy access.  It's also a lot harder for little hands to get into without
permission. (Organization)
Looking for 3 clocks that are either identical
or similar in style to be centered with each frame.  Each
clock above the children will be set at the time of their birth and
the clock above mine and Jim's picture will be set at the time
of our marriage.  There will be a phrase centered above the entire piece.
If you have seen a set of clocks that would work, please let me know where.
 
This was a terrific find at TJ MAX .   I put it
on one end of my dresser and it holds the necklaces and bracelets that
don't easily fit in my jewelry box. Organization (Pinterest Board)
 



Flower Power  (LOVE POPS OF COLOR IN MY HOME)
and fresh flowers is the way to do it. I'm not the best at arranging,
but I think it's so welcoming, especially to my husband when he
comes home after a long day.  I may not have the best meal ready, but
I think a gorgeous mantle let's him know he's home and he can
take a deep breath now. (Special Project, I pick fresh flowers every week)



Micah is a major climber.  So this is a shorter shelf that I
use for his stuffed animals that he wants to get his hands on daily, along
with some of his favorite trucks and other toys with wheels that
needed a permanent home.  I have to give credit to Anna Gillis (a piano student)
for giving me this idea.  I kept trying to use this shelf for organization, and she came up
with this idea and it works perfectly for my little climber.  (Organization)
side note:  the shelf is going to be painted.



more flowers (another inexpensive way to make the home feel inviting)



This project is a work in progress...My Grandfather built this chest
for me, and the first thing he said to me is that he built it sturdy enough
for a grown man to stand on. So while I do not intend on grown people standing
on this, I do intend on it becoming a window seat in my kitchen and
this is the beginning stage (these are not the actual pillows) I just put them in
to give an idea of where I'm going with this project.  I do already have the curtains up.
But, I generally keep them open.  I'm looking for a cushion and the proper pillows in
order to complete this project.  I'm thinking I'm going to move forward with this project. 
I had a get together at Thanksgiving and already had the chest in front of the window, and
it was actually perfect for some of the guest to sit on while the others finished preparations,
and we were all able to visit.  (special project)
 
 




I didn't take a picture of the entire shelf in Alana's room because if
you see two shelves, you've gotten the concept.  But, I do this a lot with
Alana's toys, especially if they are "themed."  For example:  Lala Loopsy, Barbie,
Lego Friends, etc.  I take a shelf unit and show her which one is for a particular toy
and we organize from there.  From then on, it makes for easy play and cleaning.  Everything
may not fit on one shelf, but you get the idea.  For example, the top shelf in this unit is for her
LIV GIRLS snow house that falls apart very easily, so by keeping it on the shelf, it makes for easy play. 
She can add and take down dolls as she likes or if she just wants to play with dolls separately and not play
with the house at all that's fine as well.  But, she has an idea of where things that are easily lost belong.  She
aslo has a shelf for Lala Loopsy items that will fit.  If it doesn't fit, it's in a separate bin, but this way, we aren't
crawling on our hands and knees looking for something with a magnifying glass (yea, I got tired of
that a very LOOOOONG time ago...ha ha!)
 I have more pics to add, but my blog is giving me a fit today and I try to manage my time well, so I'll have to save some of my other pictures for later. God bless:)

No comments:

Post a Comment

August in Review

August has been a very busy month and we are not quite done yet. Micah turned 5 months on August 16, and is doing so much: sitting on his own, playing every morning and afternoon in his activity saucer for 15 minutes at a time, pushing up on his forearms and getting on his knees when he is on his belly. He has also already cut his two front bottom teeth and appears to be working on cutting a top tooth. I'm thinking we are going to have a crawler very soon. He is growing so quickly and we are totally captivated by his every move.
Alana is getting ready to begin 2nd grade. I just can't believe that my child is going into 2nd grade. Where has all of the time gone? She is full of energy, love and zeal for life. Her typical days in the month of August have consisted of play dates, swimming, riding her bike, Bible School (she attended 5 this summer), traveling and hanging out with the family. I have promised her that we WILL go to the beach before summer ends, so I have two weeks left to make that promise come true.
Jim hashad a busy month so far and we are praising God for his new position/transfer closer to home. He will begin at his new location on the September 1, and we are so happy that he will be closer to home now. We are going to really enjoy meeting him for lunch and getting to kiss and hug him goodbye in the mornings now that he will not be leavign quite so early. God is AWESOME!!!! He always works things out for the good for those who love him (just a little paraphrasing..lol)
I have also had a busy month so far. One of the memorable things I've done this month besides playing the role of mom and giving vocal and piano lessons was being a part of the Royal Tea hosted by the 1st P.H. Church. It was a great experience and the guests speaker, Connie Hale, really spoke a message that penetrated deeply. Her word somewhat revived my heart and reminded me of the quality of life I have as a "Daughter of the King." I have willfully let go every unkind, critical and negative word ever spoken over me. I have determined that I WILL NOT listen to, entertain or accept any opinion of me given by others that is contrary to the words and thoughts of GOD. I am living a more productive and satisfying life because of it.
Below are a few pictures to document this month. I will obviously be adding more pics as the month comes to an end. In the future I will only update this section on a monthly basis.

Micah in His Activity Saucer 5 months

Micah in His Activity Saucer 5 months
Favorite morning Actvity.

Micah Sitting 19 Weeks

Micah Sitting 19 Weeks
Showing Off for Mommy!

Splash Pad

Splash Pad
Alana loves the splash pad in Marianna, one of her favorite summer activties. She plays and the entire family watches her..lol.

Alana's Fort

Alana's Fort
Mommy was lucky enough to hang out in her fort.

A Royal Tea

A Royal Tea
Ministering at the 1st PH Ladies Tea


Daddy's "Moment of Summer"

Daddy's "Moment of Summer"
Babptizing his little girl with Grandpa Goodman and Pap Carlson

Hometown Nazareth Bible School

Hometown Nazareth Bible School
1 of 5 Bible Schools Alana attended

Micah's 1st VBS, WORN OUT!

Going all out for the kids=totally worth it.

About Me

My photo
Tallahassee, FL, United States
I am 31 years old and married to the love of my life, Jim Carlson and mother to seven year old,Alana Grace, and 5 month old, Micah James. I am currently a stay at home mother, homeschool teacher and piano and vocal instructor.

Followers